Our teeth are not naturally sparklingly white. In fact, they typically fall anywhere between a greyish yellow color to a duller shade of ivory. With that said, however, a wider array of other factors can lead to the discoloration of our teeth, slowly turning our smiles into something that we are no longer proud to show off.
That’s why receiving teeth whitening is such a good treatment. Not only does it help remove deep-seated stains, but it gives you back your confidence too.
To learn more about teeth whitening in Chaparral, reach out to our local dental clinic. Our friendly, skilled staff looks forward to helping you however we can.
Teeth whitening falls under the category of cosmetic dentistry. This branch of dentistry is concerned, first and foremost, with enhancing the aesthetics of our smiles. However, cosmetic dentistry is closely lined with restorative dentistry too.
The main purpose of teeth whitening is to remove stains and discoloration. Such an issue can occur due to the following:
- Food and drink leave behind a residue. Tomato sauce, curry, soy sauce, tea, red wine, and soda are just a few examples.
- Bad oral health habits.
- An infection or tooth decay.
- Taking certain medications.
If you’re looking to undergo a smile makeover, don’t hesitate to contact a dentist near you for more information. They will explain the process of teeth whitening in Sundance and address any concerns or questions you have about it.
The Teeth Whitening Process
Before you commit to any type of dental treatment, it’s crucial that you book a consultation with your dentist. They will conduct an in-depth evaluation and take multiple x-rays of your teeth and gums. This is done so that they can identify where you’re an ideal candidate for this process or if an alternative would be more effective for your specific case.
Not everyone is eligible to receive teeth whitening from a dentist in Chaparral. If you have porcelain veneers or a dental crown, you won’t be able to whiten your teeth because the bleaching agents don’t work on these things.
There are two ways you can go about brightening your smile: in-office or at-home whitening.
As the name indicates, in-office whitening refers to having your teeth whitened by a certified dental professional. After your initial checkup is done, your teeth will be thoroughly cleaned. The bleaching agent itself – usually hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide – is applied. Both these substances can easily penetrate below your enamel and effectively remove discoloration. A blue UV light is employed to activate the actual process. Once a minute has passed, the gel will be wiped off and then reapplied until your smile resembles the shade of white you want.
In comparison, at-home whitening is done within the comfort of your own home without dental supervision. The most popular DIY methods are:
- Using take-home kits. These are provided by dental clinics and contain plastic trays and a small amount of bleach.
- Take lemon peels and rub them on your teeth.
- Oil swishing.
- Use strips, mouthwash, or toothpaste.
- Brushing and flossing twice a day (at the very least!).
- Cutting back on food and drink that leave stains.
Attending regular dental cleanings will also help maintain the beauty of your smile. Although the results of DIY methods don’t last as long as professional teeth whitening treatment, it is more affordable.
Benefits of Whitening Your Teeth
Are you interested yet still a bit unsure if you should take that final leap and book an appointment to whiten your teeth? To make your decision a bit easier, we’ve listed the main advantages that come with receiving cosmetic dentistry and bleaching your teeth:
• It kills bacteria. A lot of the substances used to whiten your teeth also kill bacteria, which means your mouth will be cleaner.
• You’ll look younger.
• It’s a streamlined process (especially when you come in to have it done by a dental professional). It won’t cause you any pain and it can be done in one visit.
• It’ll boost your self-esteem! As a result, you’ll smile more too!
• You’ll make a great first impression.
Interested in receiving treatment for teeth whitening near you? At Chaparral Dental Wellness, we’ve got you covered! Our dental team will walk with you every step of the way as you navigate your dental journey.